Welcome to our blog! I originally started this blog in November 2010 just prior to having a major brain surgery to remove a large bleeding cavernous angioma from a deep part of my brain. You can best understand the gravity of our experience by reading the first several entries.(Nov 2010-Dec 2010) I wrote the first one and my sweet, adoring husband, John, wrote the next several (while I was too sick to do much of anything) that documented surgery, immediate recovery, and our reaction to the surgery complication (stroke)that was revealed 2 days after surgery. This recovery process has been difficult but we are making it. We appreciate all the kind words of encouragement we have received and we would like to thank everyone that has participated in helping us along this difficult journey. Also, if you have any questions about my personal experience, please leave them as a comment or contact me directly at thankfulforeveryday@yahoo.com and I will respond although I am not a doctor and this is not a replacement for medical care or advise. Please ask a real professional, or probably several. :) I hope to be able to help at least one person along the challenging road of brain surgery and recovery.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

The season of giving

It's that time of year that we often think about giving...not that our giving should be limited to the months at the end and beginning of the year...but it's often a time of reflection that leads to generosity. Prior to my diagnosis I always contributed to my employers annual "giving campaign". Previously, I didn't have a specific cause, so I always made my contribution to the American Cancer Society..thinking my money would go to good use there. Well, as luck would have it, I now have a cause(spreading awareness and trying to find a cure for cavernous angiomas), but I am no longer employed so I my meager donation will remain meager without the generous matching of my former employer. If you or someone you love is afflicted with cavernous angioms, or if you haven't found your cause yet please, please...send your donations to Angioma Alliance @ http://www.angioma.org/pages.aspx?content=109 They are the only organization that I know of that is working towards a cure for this nasty condition. They are very efficient with the donations they receive...almost every penny goes directly towards the cause. AA was one of my greatest resources when I was diagnosed with this rare and often devastating condition. They are working on drug trials now...in hopes they can find a drug that prevents these monsters from bleeding and growing. If the bleeding and growing can be stopped...surgery will be needed less often...and brain surgery is something that will be gladly avoided. Remember, "Without you, there can be no cure!"   

3 comments:

  1. So sweet from you. I respects your thoughts. You are right that this is the right time to giving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - you are "across from us" in the latest SC magazine! (My husband is the one who made the quilt).Just wanted to say I found your story inspiring and am so glad you published it. People don't realize that strokes can happen at any age.

    thanks again for sharing, have a blessed holiday season with your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barb, thank you..and you and your husband's quilt is amazing!! Quite an accomplishment on his recovery! And yes, stroke can get you at any age..I think it's good to spread awarness of that reality!

    ReplyDelete