Welcome to our blog! I originally started this blog in November 2010 just prior to having a major brain surgery to remove a large bleeding cavernous angioma from a deep part of my brain. You can best understand the gravity of our experience by reading the first several entries.(Nov 2010-Dec 2010) I wrote the first one and my sweet, adoring husband, John, wrote the next several (while I was too sick to do much of anything) that documented surgery, immediate recovery, and our reaction to the surgery complication (stroke)that was revealed 2 days after surgery. This recovery process has been difficult but we are making it. We appreciate all the kind words of encouragement we have received and we would like to thank everyone that has participated in helping us along this difficult journey. Also, if you have any questions about my personal experience, please leave them as a comment or contact me directly at thankfulforeveryday@yahoo.com and I will respond although I am not a doctor and this is not a replacement for medical care or advise. Please ask a real professional, or probably several. :) I hope to be able to help at least one person along the challenging road of brain surgery and recovery.

Friday, December 9, 2011

Stand...my turning point

Last year while I was preparing for surgery, at one point I was having a really hard time coping. I felt like it wasn't fair that I had to go through all this. (I know "life's not fair" BUT)  I felt like I had worked so hard to get to this place...exactly where I wanted to be...married to the best man ever, mother to a precious little boy...perfection. How could it be that my dream could end so suddenly? I was just getting started and completely happy and satisfied with my life. At my lowest point, I thought I might not make it...I couldn't handle all the stress or pressure of having surgery and maybe dying...leaving my sweet husband without a wife and my perfect baby without a mother. Then I heard Stand  by Rascal Flatts while I was driving coming back from one of my many doctor appointments...it hit me...I had heard the song many times before but on that occasion the lyrics resonated with me. That's exactly what I needed to do. Get strong. And Stand. I did. I was changed from that moment forward...choosing only to embrace the positive aspects and push everything else away. I was no longer crushed by the seemingly impossible feat ahead.There was NO WAY I was going to let any of this get in the way of my dream life. I wanted to be a great wife and mom more than anything and I get to do it now. Going into surgery I knew all of the risks,just hoped none of them would be my reality. Regardless, I fought my way back so that I could live the life I dreamed of.
There were many songs that inspired me during the past two years...but this one saved the day!

3 comments:

  1. This song gave me goosebumps. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good that you found a bit of inspiration before your surgery. I've always admired your positivity. All that you went through with the removal of your cavernoma and the stroke during, it couldn't have come at a better time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Yes I have found that focusing on the positives has helped me tremendously. This process was hard but it has made me a better person.

    ReplyDelete