Welcome to our blog! I originally started this blog in November 2010 just prior to having a major brain surgery to remove a large bleeding cavernous angioma from a deep part of my brain. You can best understand the gravity of our experience by reading the first several entries.(Nov 2010-Dec 2010) I wrote the first one and my sweet, adoring husband, John, wrote the next several (while I was too sick to do much of anything) that documented surgery, immediate recovery, and our reaction to the surgery complication (stroke)that was revealed 2 days after surgery. This recovery process has been difficult but we are making it. We appreciate all the kind words of encouragement we have received and we would like to thank everyone that has participated in helping us along this difficult journey. Also, if you have any questions about my personal experience, please leave them as a comment or contact me directly at thankfulforeveryday@yahoo.com and I will respond although I am not a doctor and this is not a replacement for medical care or advise. Please ask a real professional, or probably several. :) I hope to be able to help at least one person along the challenging road of brain surgery and recovery.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

More seizures?

This past week has brought continued awareness to the reality of what we are dealing with....constant uncertainty. Now that my surgery is over and my rehab is well underway...we are always looking toward the future wondering what it will hold. As an eternal optimist, I am always certain that I will make a full recovery or at least keep getting better and that all this craziness will someday be a thing of the past...then just like that...another test reveals that may not be the case...at least not so soon. Anyway, I had an EEG (a test that measures electrical activity..seizures.. in your brain) this week and to make a long story shorter...I am still having abnormal brain activity..AKA seizures. Bummer! The positive side note is that I am not feeling them like I was prior to surgery, but the reality is that they are still occurring quite often (about 10 in the 20 mins. I was being tested). This is pretty significant because for many people that undergo surgery, relief from seizures is sometimes a positive outcome after the surgery. I was hoping to be lucky in that respect. Not yet, maybe in the future. I will just cross my fingers and pray that I remain asymptomatic because while I am having several seizures a day they are not currently affecting me much except maybe contributing to my fatigue. As for now, it's the same routine....work on getting better, and continue to look to the future in an optimistic light. Focus on the positive, disregard the negative, and work on the things we can control/change. We'll just have to retest in another few months and see what happens then.

1 comment:

  1. A WONDERFUL MOTHER'S DAY for U!!!! Enjoy EVERY moment...before U know it U will have a teenager...and,yes, I have discovered that boys r just as MOODY as girls!!

    ReplyDelete