Welcome to our blog! I originally started this blog in November 2010 just prior to having a major brain surgery to remove a large bleeding cavernous angioma from a deep part of my brain. You can best understand the gravity of our experience by reading the first several entries.(Nov 2010-Dec 2010) I wrote the first one and my sweet, adoring husband, John, wrote the next several (while I was too sick to do much of anything) that documented surgery, immediate recovery, and our reaction to the surgery complication (stroke)that was revealed 2 days after surgery. This recovery process has been difficult but we are making it. We appreciate all the kind words of encouragement we have received and we would like to thank everyone that has participated in helping us along this difficult journey. Also, if you have any questions about my personal experience, please leave them as a comment or contact me directly at thankfulforeveryday@yahoo.com and I will respond although I am not a doctor and this is not a replacement for medical care or advise. Please ask a real professional, or probably several. :) I hope to be able to help at least one person along the challenging road of brain surgery and recovery.

Monday, September 15, 2014

Insight from an old friend

I'm not sure what happened to Brooke aka Otownmama. I assume she has been "cured, got to move on past this whole angioma thing, and has gotten on with her life. When I was newly dx with a cavernous angioma, so was Brooke. She had small children at the time and this dx, shook her up in a very bad way. We were both going through a lot of the initial, shock, horror and fears that come with this dx at the same time. She ended up having surgery with Dr. Spetzler and then she disappeared from AA. That's a good thing, I assume. When she was struggling she wrote something that I think of often, so I thought I would share it.

The benefits to having a cavernoma......

On a lighthearted note...I have been trying to get past the shock and be more positive about things.  These are some things I've gained from having a cavernoma and I would love to hear yours!

10.  I don't have to look like a wimp when I don't want to ride a roller coaster.
9.  I just got spend money on new jewelry and order a super cute Medical ID bracelet that looks like I just got back from Tiffany's.
8.  I now have a chauffeur to take me places (aka husband, mom, friend, etc.)!
7.  Extra dates with my hubby when we stop to grab a bite on our way home from all these dr apt.'s.
6.  Thinking twice before judging someone, like the mom who doesn't take her turn driving kids for preschool fieldtrips (or who forgets there was a fieldtrip that day;)).
5.  More faith.
4.  More sincerity in prayers.
3.  More laughing (and crying).
2.  More time playing, less time cleaning.

And the number one reason I'm glad I have a cavernoma...

1.  It gave me a new perspective on life and what is really important.

I agree with most of what she wrote especially #1! Except, I would love to ride roller coasters with my boys!:( I thought that since I had surgery that I might be able to ride them, but since my hopscotch disaster, I am not taking any risks on that front. I will just have to cheer them on from the waiting area, and acknowledge their bravery with a smile that says I'm glad I'm here even if I can't ride with you :) !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment